The sponge in your kitchen is so versatile, you can wash dishes, scrub pans and wipe of counter tops or the occasional small spill on the floor.   The best part about a sponge is that it is reusable but that means it sits in the kitchen for weeks and often stays wet for a very long time.  Sometimes you even lose track of just how long you have actually been using that sponge.

Within just a couple of days of use the sponge in your kitchen is  one of the most dangerous sources of virulent bacteria, including E coli, Salmonella and Staphylococcus. 

There is an easy solution to this problem, buy a washable sponge.  They are fairly inexpensive and you can throw them in the washing machine with your dish towels and dish cloths.  If you buy several you can always use a clean sponge for the day and decrease the chances of spreading harmful bacteria all over your kitchen.