Lead has been in the news quite a bit lately, with Exide Technologies as the focal point. Exide Technologies operates a lead smelter just south of downtown Frisco. Residents of Frisco and other surrounding cities such as Plano should be aware that this plant has some of the highest lead emissions in the country.
There are things you can do in your own home to help protect yourself and your family from lead exposure. The recommendations below are from the EPA
- Clean floors, window frames, window sills, and other surfaces weekly. Use a mop, sponge, or paper towel with warm water and a general all-purpose cleaner or a cleaner made specifically for lead.
- Cleaning dirty or dusty areas.
- Wash children’s hands often, especially before they eat and before nap time and bed time.
- Keep play areas clean. Wash bottles, pacifiers, toys, and stuffed animals regularly.
- Clean or remove shoes before entering your home to avoid tracking in lead from soil.
- Make sure children eat healthy and nutritious meals as recommended by the National Dietary Guidelines. Children with good diets absorb less lead.