The air fresheners many of us use in our homes are not particularly environmentally friendly. Several studies including one by the Natural Resources Defense Council have found many air fresheners and candles contain harmful chemicals known as Phthalates . These air fresheners may make our home smell better for a short time, but they are also releasing toxins that have been known to cause hormonal abnormities, birth defects, and reproductive problems.
Don’t worry; you can still enjoy a nice, fresh smelling home without harmful air fresheners. Here are few things you can do that will keep you and your family toxin free while eliminating odors.
Start with finding the source of odors and eliminating it:
- Have carpets and rugs professionally cleaned
- Have drapes and curtains professionally cleaned
- Use a vacuum with a HEPA filter
If you would still like to give your home an environmentally friendly fresh scent:
- Boil lemon slices in a pot
- Add lavender or peppermint oil to a pot of boiling water
- Both vinegar and baking soda dissolved in water absorbs bad smells
- Around the holidays boiling cinnamon sticks gives off a wonderful aroma
- Fill a bowl with petals from flowers or herbs