The definition of “green” can be in the eye of the beholder.

Sometimes natural earth derived products are called green, regardless of the other properties of the product.  Sometimes a non-toxic product is called green even if it’s man made.

Borax for instance is promoted as a “green” cleaner.  Borax occurs naturally in evaporite deposits produced by the repeated evaporation of seasonal lakes.  Borax is not acutely toxic, however, there are possible effects that everyone should be aware of.

Borax, sodium tetraborate decahydrate, is not acutely toxic. [9] Its LD50 (median lethal dose) score is tested at 2.66 g/kg in rats. [10] This does not mean that it is safe, merely that a significant dose of the chemical is needed to cause severe symptoms or death. The median lethal dose for humans tends to differ for a given compound from that of rats. Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. “In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and scrotum has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure.[11]

A reassessment of boric acid/borax by the United States Environmental Protection Agency Office of Pesticide Programs found potential developmental toxicity (especially effects on the testes).[12]Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be especially toxic to infants, especially after repeated use because of its slow elimination rate.[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax